Homeless With Pets
Homeless with Pets:
- Offers services and support to one of the most under-served of homeless communities
- Helps homeless service providers and professionals working with people living homeless people who want to develop their understanding of the human-animal bond and who may need practical help with managing and accommodating people living homeless with animals
Help for people homeless with animal companions
Homeless with Pets offers:
- free vaccine and wellness clinics, three times a month
- access to low cost veterinary treatment, when possible
- help in medical emergencies, when possible
- distribution of donated foods for cats and dog
- distribution of leashes, harnesses, collars, cat litter and litter trays
- help with dog and cat training and behavior concerns
- the promotion of animal welfare and animal well-being and humane practices
- guidance to better manage animal welfare when homeless
- help with day-care of pets while the owner attends medical, job search or other appointments
- help with temporary fostering arrangements and adoption of animals, when possible
- help with basic grooming and care
- access to professional grooming through our Grooming Sundays events
- help in talking through situations and options involving animals, for example, health care decisions, re-homing or the loss of an animal
Homeless With Pets can help through its partnership arrangements get an animal spayed or neutered and looked after at a veterinary clinic the night after surgery
Homeless with Pets is developing an Internship program to develop pre-employment and vocational skills as a route into employment.
Help for Homeless Services Providers
Homeless with Pets can help with:
- developing policies and guidelines for integrating pets into your services
- help with risk assessments associated with integrating pets into your services
- helping promote the health and well-being of pets who might be integrated into your services
- working with pet owners and non-owners in your services so they can appreciate the needs of the animals and the responsibilities of both groups of people towards each other and towards the animals involved
- help with issues that can occur, for example, animal behavioral problems, owner's lack of awareness of others
- policies for Service Dogs and Emotional Support Animals
We can help in a variety of homeless contexts from Safe Parking and Day Services, through shared shelter accommodation and permanent housing.
We can work with people as they move into tenancies to ensure their dogs become Canine Good Citizens and they responsible owners.
Help for other agencies
Homeless with Pets has knowledge, expertise and networks in the arena of homelessness and companion animals and is available to help agencies think about the nature and strength of the human-animal bond, animal loss and ways to help homeless people with companion animals who present at their services.
For homeless people and agencies we have a website of links and downloadable information to help direct clients to information e.g.about common insect problems; or where they might get free food.
We have a whole series of discussion papers and guidance sheets to help agencies to think about the policies they will need and resource implications as they add in access for animal companions to their service provision.